Sunday, August 22, 2010

How it all happened.

I wrote this on July 31, 2010
So... 30 days away and I'm dying to go. Really, I don't think there is 10 minutes of my day I don't think of it. Today I got my Journal for Jerusalem. My heart skipped a beat and my stomach flip flopped. I'm going. It's real. How? Why? Me? How'd I get so blessed? I've been reading Matthew, Mark, Luke and John to prepare. I just finished Matthew and Christ just got crucified. I get to be where he was placed, where he taught. I feel happily overwhelmed. I really can't wait.
Just as a preface, this experience is kind of personal, but as I'm going to make this blog into a book when I return and I don't want to forget how Heavenly Father made this all possible. I keep thinking my life is figured out and I'm flyin' high until He tells me, "Wait! I'm in charge! I'm taking care of you!" So, here's how it goes... I was dating this wonderful guy. Like most stories are it was almost perfect. I'd never been treated so well in my life. Didn't even know someone so nice could be on this planet? And he was mine? How? We had been dating for a couple months and I had been counting down the days until I could turn in my applications for Jerusalem. He knew this was my intentions and would support me with whatever I decided. They went in. I filled all the requirements and this really could happen! So as far as I understand there are 80 people going, 40 girls 40 boys and about 100-120 applied. There is a small chance I couldn't get in. If I didn't get in they would randomly select the waiting list number. I was in Texas visiting my sister, her husband and cute baby between semesters when the letter was going to come. My brother-in-law is going to South Western Medical School and we decided to go visit the campus. There's a beautiful reserve right on campus and we were going to enjoy the surroundings. Right as I opened the car door my phone rang. It was mom. She had the letter in her hand. Melis and Reed were anxious and excited and I was a nervous wreck. I wanted it so so bad. What if I didn't? What would I do then? Mom opened it. I was rejected. 10th on the waiting list. There is NO way anyone was going to drop out of this! Who would apply and not go?! NO ONE. I wasn't going to Jerusalem. A few hidden tears were shed. My sister kept encouraging me to call my boyfriend, but I couldn't because I knew I'd burst into tears. All he got was a text and I have to admit I think he was ecstatic with the news. =) So now what? Do I go back to Idaho? Do I apply again? Do I get married? I've been studying spanish and looking into a school in Chile so is that what i'm supposed to do? These questions went over and over in my head and prayers daily. Spring semester started in Idaho and I did my research on Chile and it was looking more and more appealing to me. A couple months went by and I got the feeling it was time to try something new. I had to break up with this wonderful man. I loved him. How could I? Heavenly Father reassured me time and time again it was the right thing to do. We broke up, and like every break up it was not easy. Painful actually. I was really getting excited about Chile! My brother is living there with his family and they could go check it out for me and it could happen! Little did I know what Heavenly Father had in mind. About 2 weeks after the break up I get a call during class and I didn't recognize the number and ignored it. After class I checked my voicemail and it was from the BYU Jerusalem Center office, she had a couple questions about my application. That confused me a whole ton, because it was over and done! I wasn't going. I called her back and 9 other people had dropped out! If one more person dropped out I would go! How did this happen? I was next in line and didn't have any of my forms in. I had two hours to frantically send in all my papers by fax, email and phone calls. 5 o clock came and they were in! Still a chance I wasn't going. Could be even a month before I found out. 2 days later we were doing a final review for my Heroic Journey class and It's her. I knew what it was. I almost jumped out of my seat right that second. It kept ringing in my hand and I didn't know what to do. I quietly ran outside and answered the phone. I was going. I WAS GOING! FALL SEMESTER I WAS GOING! Flood of tears came, and I do believe that was the happiest moment of my life thus far. I literally screamed and got plenty of wonderful looks. Who knows what Heavenly Father has in store after this, but I know because I listened and obeyed to Him, wonderful blessings came to pass. This would not have happened, had I not listened. Who knows what the future will hold...

No comments:

Post a Comment