Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan 1: Drive, Mt. Nebo, Madaba, Mikaris, Drive to Wadi Musa

Sunday November 28, 2010
We made it to Jordan! I really didn’t know what to expect here (and still don’t), but I got so excited when we actually made it. The border crossing was a doosy. It took over 3 hours to get through, but thankfully time flew!
            Our first stop was Mt. Nebo. This was vaguely familiar to me, and I was excited to learn more. We picked up a tour guide on our way in Jordan, which is required by Law to have a tour guide from the country because that is how they make their money. It’s always harder to listen to a tour guide vs. our teachers because their accents are so different, and they don’t exactly have the same beliefs as far as religion goes. It’s okay though, because our teachers will usually clarify when they’re done.


Mt. Nebo and Madaba
1. Describe the area where Madaba is located
along the Kings’ Highway in Jordan
2. Explain where Moses was taken and two significant things that happened there.
Mt. Nebo-he viewed Holy Land and was buried there
3. Describe two portions of the floor in the St. George church at Madaba, and tell why they are important.
1st map; historians used it to reconstruct Byzantine near east


 Mt. Nebo is the traditional place of Moses’ death before entering the promised land (Deut 34:5). We believe that from further translation in Alma 45:35 that he was translated, and didn’t die here. Numbers 33:47- Israelites pitch before Nebo. And Numbers 27:12,13 Moses first viewed promised land from Nebo.  I got back to the bus right before we were to take off and one of the girls told me there was an American Deaf group there!!! I almost jumped back off the bus, but that would hold everyone up. I miss signing SOOOO much.
            Side note: I swear as SOON as we crossed the border, weird as that sounds, there was an infestation of flies… JUST LIKE EGYPT! I don’t feel like Jordan is that different from Jerusalem, but we never have problems with those pesky little guys (as my father would say).
 We stopped in the city of Madaba, or known as Moab. We saw “The oldest map in the world” taking back to the 6th century (so around 565 AD. Or so). Moab is mentioned 6 times in the bible!
  1. Genesis 19:36-38 that tells about the origin of Moab. The people began by the name of Lot and his daughter.
  2. Deut 2:9- (2 chron 20:10) descendants of Lot inhabit Moab not for Israelites to possess.
  3. 1 samuel 22:3-4- David hides his parents in Moab for a time.
  4. Ruth 1:4- Elimelech and family in Moab for 10 years; setting for the story of ruth.
  5. Amos 2:1-3- Divine decree against Moabites
  6. Jeremiah 48- Judgments vs. Moab; cities enumerated- Jeremiah knew geographical setting.



 Uh... Is this the women's bathroom? I'm don't think they have enough signs
 Next was Mikaris (Arabic Mukawir), which is one of Herod’s Fortresses with a gorgeous view of the Dead Sea. This was the place that Herod’s niece danced for him, and he granted her anything she wished, and it was the head of John the Baptists on a charger. He was killed where I stood! There were so many gorgeous valleys (wadi’s?) with Bedouin people camped all over the hillsides. It was actually a really cool experience, I walked away from everyone and just watched them for a while as you could hear their tinkering bells around the sheep’s necks and the little progress they had made up the dry mountain since we had made it to the fortress. I loved this moment.





        
            From my journal: “As I have time on our bus ride to watch the cities as we go in and out of them, one sight really hit home for me. There were two men walking down an extremely dusty road in practically rags, I’m assuming taking a break from work amidst these lush, gorgeous fields that they slave all day in just to feed their family. I sit here in an air conditioned bus, with a full stomach, listening to Colbie Caille on my iPod, sitting amongst people that I love, and I know my family at home is happy, full of food and healthy. How does this happen? Heavenly Father,WHY? Then the thought, ‘when much is given, much is required’ popped in my head. I am SO blessed. I can do SO SO much more.” How? Something I will be trying my hardest to accomplish all my life.
            The bus ride was very long, but completely worth it. I felt justified with my time usage/wastage and even got to learn from an incredible girl, Chelsea. I’m really grateful for the people here that teach me so much.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting stuff about Moab. Yup, you know my one question when I die....why, why, why was I so blessed? I know where you are coming from sweet one. Back to the trip...didn't you love the bells on the sheep? Doesn't it feel like you are on a different planet? I was just reading about John the Baptist this very morning. Incredible that YOU were RIGHT THERE!!!

    ReplyDelete