Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Our Last Field Trip. Ever. AKA Gethsemane, St Peter’s in Gallicantu, Church of the Flagellation & Garden Tomb

 Left to Right: Craig, Lisa, Katie, Lexi, Jordan, Aly, Myself, Jacqueline, Cherysh
 Isn't it so beautiful!?

 Boo... I hate lasts. It's not really real at all. We started out in the Orson Hyde garden right near the center. Stopped to chill our bums as we had a devotional about the importance of the dedication of the Holy Land at this time. I have a previous post about this, but the dedicatory prayer is truly amazing.

As we were walking through this beautiful garden to Gethsemane Jord said, "I can't wait to meet your parents... oh your pops" That got me thinkin' I MISS MY DAD! As I was writing this post an Eagles song came on and it got me so excited for his finger dancing, racing around in his car, weekly Costco trips, business talk, goofy jokes, and endless generosity. He is always, ALWAYS doing something for someone else, serving my momma, helping someone out that could use a little extra, making up songs on the spot about every situation, he always leaves work at work and seriously never stresses. I love that man. I can't wait for his bear hugs!




Cute Brother and Sister Judd
The Garden Of Gethsemane we got to go to the place that they only let LDS people in, for the sacred aspect. I have grown to love this place. The olive trees are so beautiful, and I never really realized it, but they're green all year round. The olive tree and olives have always had a strong representation of Christ and his sacrifice for us. He bled from every pore, just as the olives go through a process to get squeezed the juice out of them. This semester I tried a ripe olive and it really does "bleed" deep red/purple juice as soon as the skin is broken. I'm really going to miss this place.

The Nae Church was next being known for the place that Christ's trial was held. He was kept in the high priests house before "The Passion" took place and it was very possible that he was kept in the cistern at the bottom of the house. Now there is a gorgeous church in it's place. It's probably one of my favorite in all the churches i've been to, and I've been to a LOT (Luke 22:54-62). There are stairs that date back to the time of Herod that Christ very well could have walked on. This is also the place that Peter wept bitterly about denying Christ 3 times While Brother Judd was giving a devotional we got to hear the Church bells go off, my favorite!
House of Caiaphas
 There was  a gorgeous look out that you could see the Tyropian, Kidron, and Silwan valleys meet. I got a lot of sexy face pictures of our class mates. We talked about all the major land marks that have become as second nature to us.




 caves/ cisterns


 The cistern/cave that they kept Christ in before his trial.
 Upstairs there was a GORGEOUS church. This is just a taste. It was MASSIVE.



Next was the pool of Bethesda. I've been waiting all semester to see this! All of this takes place in John 5. I dare you to read it. It's too good not to pass up the opportunity. this is a sheep market pool, which is north of the temple mount. Jesus meets this man that believes an angel would go to the pool and touch it, causing it to bubble and the first person into the water will be healed. Because he is a cripple he can never get to the pool before anyone else. This particular man has had this problem for 38 years. Christ heals him and tells him to take up his bed. He is healed! Brother Judd really emphasized that this man was so focused on the water, that he didn't get the message Christ was teaching. He related it to the sacrament and how sometimes we see the bread and water as something we have to do, when in reality it is what is in our hearts, what we are really being forgiven of.

There was a gorgeous, massive church there that we got to sing a bunch of songs at. The acoustics were amazing. It was so big that it echoed for a couple seconds after we were done singing. The spirit was so strong there.



 The actual steps that people would wait at for the water to bubble

Next was the garden tomb. It was so good to see it for the last time. I love that place. I'm so grateful that they have kept it sacred instead of building a church on top.
 Welcome to every day streets of the Old City

I think I found the anchor that is right next to the tomb. It signifies anchoring our lives on Christ. 

 Regular old street of Jerusalem
 After this we headed for some Falafel-afels. They were tasty! While everyone was in line I made friends with a man that told me he'd marry me if he weren't so old. Hilariously awkward and such a normal thing for here. I'm not going to miss the cat calls, honking, and "hey babies" at ALL! I will miss the "MORMON! Come in my shop!"
  We even got sung to today by a man that made up a song about us virgin Mormons. Oh dear. I met Jacquelines daddy! It was so wonderful! He came in for the day. He was to show up in court. It lasted for 5-7 minutes and he heads back to America. I'm sure it was a blast for Jacqueline!

We have out final class goodbye fireside tonight... preparing myself for the water works...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that sounds wonderful! Well, not the last part but the field trip part. Where is the Nae Church? I have not even heard of that one.

    ReplyDelete