Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 8: Hiking Mt. Sinai, Israeli crossing

Back in Israel! We just crossed the border and it feels SO good to be back in our "home state". I feel like i'm going to be clean again! Healthy again, eating other than carbs, rested again, friended again (by the JC staff and my real roommates and not being segregated from the other bus), Cooled down again, schooled again, Using my brain again, musiced again, blogged again, and daughtered (probably my favorite) again! This sounds like i'm complaining, but i'm really really not. I loved the trip. It was incredible. It was life changing. It was exhausing. It was a blast. I would do it again in a heart beat!

Today we hiked Mt. Sinai! What a breath taking experience. I would suggest it to anyone and everyone that were to come to Egypt. We woke up at 1:38 am and went to knock on everyone elses' door. I got some very unconvinsingly sleepy "I'm awake"  and some sleepy eyes, but we were up and rearin' to go! Something about me: I ADORE HIKING! mom, that's right. I'm missing it like the dickens. My mom is an incredible hiker, and so so much fun to go hiking with, she's converted me. I was thinking about her the whole hike, wishing she could experience this incredible experience with me.
What gorgeous view to wake up to... and go HIKE!


We had a cup full of sugar (also known as some very very chocolaty hot chocolate) packed our breakfast and headed on the bus. It was a full moon a couple days before and it led out path when we weren't in the shadows of the mountains. Cute Amy and I LOVE our moon shadow. When we were at the Sand dunes we were giddy that we had one and talked about it for a very long time. Thanks to her she added a little sunshine to my day for telling me about my shadow. My hiking buddies were the marvelous Cherysh and Kim. I love these girls. They were so so much fun to hike with, and right at the same pace as me. We pushed each other, yet didn't kill ourselves. I did find out that camels are very hard to see in the middle of the night. They would be resting in the shadows of the jagged mountains and I would literally stumble upon them if they didn't gurgle a couple inches from my face causing my heart to skip a beat. Another fright, there were hundreds of Bedouin men that were lurking around every corner and Cherysh, Kim and I couldn't leave each others side. What in the world were they doing awake all night? I also learned I didn't know I was capable of dripping sweat at 3:00 am? It was hot and humid, but I was loving every second. =)
1/2 way there! Sweaty and red faced... with the best hiking buddies, Cherysh and Kim
the pass that for certain moses walked through

The terrain and mountains looked spectacular in the mood light as red rock jutting out from everywhere. We had hiked about an hour and a half when we got to stairs ready to hike the 780 stairs to the top.

When we got there the moon shone so bright, and we were oh so glad to have brought multiple jackets. We waited for about an hour and ate our breakfast. We tried the impossible feat of falling asleep on each other, then the hard rock. Much to our dismay it was too cold. We got up and I believe that cold was Heavenly Fathers way of saying, preach my gospel! Just wait.

We walk over to the wall to where the sun would rise in about 30 minutes. I started talking to a 55ish year old lady from California about the trek up. She was with and 84 year old man that hiked all those stairs! I was thoroughly impressed. She quietly and lightly suggested to sing a hymn. I replied, "Of course!" We wipped out our hymn books and a group of us sang "How Great Thou Art". The sweet lady started singing with us until her tears became too big. I know the spirit was there.  I know she felt it, and the hike was all worth it for that moment. We could share the spirit of Christ without proselyting, because we aren't allowed to. We continued to sing hymns until the sky lit up more and more. Brother Muhlestein gathered our class on a mountain cliff away from everyone elsee while we sang "The day dawn is breaking." We discussed Moses' talk with God on the mountain for 40 days. We were standing at the place! I can't explain the feeling, but I feel so so incredibly blessed to have had the opportunity.

The sunrise was spectacular rising over these gorgeous valleys and mountains. The colors were so virant and subtle. I'll post pictures so you can see!

The hike down we decided to take the stairs! 3, 780 steps to the bottom. The first 780 my legs were feelin wobbly and i was LOVIN it! The stairs were made my a monk for penance. Walking all the way down those stairs I felt bad for the poor man that had to make them. It wouldn't have been an easy task.






 Made it to the top! Sweaty and LOVIN it!
 Where we waited for the sunrise and sang our hymns!
 The bestest roommates in the world, Tessa and Jacqueline
 This guy needed a friend, he was all alone on the mountain!



We conquered 3,000 steps!
We had an INCREDIBLE devotional on top discussing what Moses and the Lord talked about on these mountains. 


On the way down we had an emergency bathroom break. I won't go into detail, but Cherysh got me laughing so so hard I almost had an accident.  The jello legs at the bottom were my favorite. I couldn't get them to shake enough to get on camera, but I loved them. We hopped in the pool and it was lovely. I got tricked into thinking the water was warm... nope the freezing water took my breath away and I loved every minute of it. They got a nice dunk after that.

 Loooong hike down 3,870 stairs!
 Cherysh and I. She looks like a shrimp, and she is... but not that small!
 The canyons were absolutely breath taking!
 Bedouin men house
 The mountain! Not the whole thing though...
Our legs were officially jello when we got back... the FREEZING water felt soooo incredible. 
 We had a competition whose hair was longest.... I hate to admit it, but Joseph won.
 Can you see it?
We headed back to Israel had just HAD to stop at the kibbutz with the best ice cream.
 Right after the border... much needed and loved crunch ice cream bar! Cute megan Gygi and I.
For dinner we stopped at another kibbutz. Jamie and I couldn't resist.

We headed out on the road from 12:00 until about 9:30. We didn't have full blast a/c and we were whining. We're so spoiled and I hate it. Couple quotes from the hot, stinky bus:
-"I'm sweatin like a red neck in a spelling bee!" -Jordan
- "It smells so so bad I want to hurt someone!" -Jamie
- "Imagine that smell coming out of you!" - Rachel
- "You just got sporked!"
It was a memorable bus ride. At the time of writing this entry we had a crazy wild, maybe a little TOO wild dance party for 3 straight hours. Had to go out with a boom you know? Brother and Sister Muhlestein told their dating story of meeting, mission, dating and everything. Ends up 11 days before Sister Muhlestein was supposed to leave for her mission, she got proposed to. They are so incredibly amazing. I want one. A husband that is... Too bad it won't be for 3 1/2 years! Or, maybe thats a good thing. Yeah, It is.

Back to the life of School, work, reading loads and FRUITS AND VEGGIES!
What an experience of a life time. All thanks to the men upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment