Saturday, September 4, 2010

First Sabbath

First Sabbath on Saturday I’ve ever had. I like this idea. So tomorrow, Sunday will be just like Saturday and we get to go walk along the Jerusalem wall and meet people and get shekels! I think It’s interesting because the Muslums worship on Friday, Jews worship on Saturday, and Christians worship on Sunday, but because we are in a Palestine area… east Jerusalem we are still part of Israel because we’re on good terms with them which means we follow the Jews and worship on Saturday. So this can get confusing but to clarify Palestinians are a type of Arab people and Palestinians or Arabs are Muslim or Christian. Then Israeli people are Jews… I think I have that straight… Israeli Jews live in the West Jerusalem and the East Jerusalem, or the old city is inhabited by Palestinians. This information is mostly for me because I can’t get it straight. If it weren’t for Schneib (my roommate Jacqueline) I’d be no where!
ANYWAY… Sabbath was amazing. We started out with Choir Practice and we had everyone but about 10 to 15 people. It was so powerful. Our chorister brother Ohman is phenomenal. His skills are absolutely… I don’t even have a word for it because they are so impressive. He plays the organ like he was born to play. He actually told us today that he came her 20 years ago and helped assemble it here. It is probably THE best organ in all of the Middle East. Then we got a new branch president! It was/is our wonderful Choir Director Brother Ohman! Now president Ohman. I’m so excited. He’ll be so so incredible. That man is phenomenal. There is a spirit about him that brings a barrel of sunshine wherever he goes. Older couple missionaries do so so so much good in this world and I don’t think I understood that until now, and I know I’ll learn lots more the more time I associate with them.

Our branch is so wonderful! There are quite a few families that showed up I was very impressed. All of them have husbands that work in the American Consulate. Cool thing is, that gives us amazing opportunities for networking in the future. We talked to a member of the bishopric today and he is going to arrange a seminar to come and visit the Consulate and ask and answer any questions we have. There are two people that go to Hebrew University here, one is getting his doctorate with is wife and kids and the other, Rebecah, is studying Hebrew. This woman is incredible and I’m so excited to get to know her better. She graduated from BYU in Languistics, went on a mission to Hong Kong, came home applied for master programs and on a whim came to JERUSALEM of all places to fulfill her life long dream of learning Hebrew. Not only is she learning it, but she’s in a 6 week intensive language program that covers 1 YEAR worth of information. Cool huh? Oh, and she plays the organ, piano and has a masterful voice she sang soprano, alto, tenor and bass today without the music. She said she’d love to come hang out with us more so we switched information and I can’t wait to get to know her and learn from her. The weirdest thing I think about living here is that we live with our teachers… we see them everywhere we go, we eat with them sometimes, we have church with them, watch movies with their kids and everything. I feel like I should keep a student teacher relationship with them, but its kind of impossible. I think this is all part of a “Zion” community that we’ve heard so much about.

After church my roommates Schneib, Meredith, and Tessa Witt (yes, she’s from high school! And I love love love love love her around) all had roommate bonding time. It was fantastic and much needed. Funny story, my roommate solved any girl problem today.. One of my other roommates had a little freak out about not being able to get married and she said “ok, we’ll get a boys number then we are to live our life, go to grad school, travel the world, etc. and then give them a call once you’re ready to get married! Perfect plan! I quite agree. Wish it were that easy!








After an amazing Mediterranean meal we asked our friendly security guards where a good place to watch the sunset was and they said pointing to a wall about 10 feet away, “3 on this wall, one on that wall and one on top of the security desk!” I love the security guards here. They’re so fun with their broken English. We frolicked to the prayer call tonight, then played an awesome game of 5 crowns on the Oasis balcony! Some groups went to the city today and one poor girl got a bum grab from an Israeli man… I think she’s scarred for life.

1 comment:

  1. Shalom! What an interesting Sabbath day for you. I can't believe what has happened to you in five days. You're talking about your guards, a new friend from the Hebrew university, and a girl getting an unexpected hand grab on her tush. And what all this talk about marriage?? Silly girls. All in a Sabbath day in Jerusalem. So good to hear your voice today!!! Be careful on your adventures tomorrow. xo

    ReplyDelete