It's true family.. I do. Just wait one day you'll come over here and try their hummus and it is to DIE FOR. That was one of the happiest parts of my day. Actually eating is pretty much the happiest for everyone because it's incredibly delicious and we don't have to make it haha Everyone okay, mostly the guys talk about whats will we eat next and whens dinner?
The morning started out bright and early with a fantastic run to Hebrew University with Jaquelin and Kim. The JC security guards are so strict on the routes we can take and we found out we can only go about 1 1/2 miles that are the "safe zone". We ran up the hill from the JC and the suns rays blasted us as it was just starting to rise on the horizon. It was absolutely incredible what a different world this side of the Mt. of olives were from 100 ft away. I'll take my camera on our next run and post them. I'm pretty sure these people here NEVER see anyone running outside. Cars would slow down just to stare or honk and believe me, we weren't a pretty sight to see running up a steep hill with long pants and baggy clothes in this humidity. Maybe it was because we weren't covered from head to toe but then again they are Israeli men that tend to stare at American women.
We had our first Old testament class today with Brother Muelstein, He has a doctorate degree in Egyptology and I've heard he's one of the most knowledgeable men in his career. It was so enjoyable. This class won't be easy, but so so much fun. our class has massive windows and overlooks the land of Jerusalem. He'll point things out as we cover certain subject to where they took place throughout the semester, which i find incredible to think I can just look and see to my left where everything happened. Following that class we had Ancient Near Eastern Studies taught by Jefferey Chadwick. What an intelligent man! History is not my cup of tea, especially when he turns off the lights to see the screen, but I know if I will learn a LOT in his class! By about 11 we were done with the day! All of us were so excited to finally go to the Old city on our own until we were told we couldn't. It's the last day of Ramadan, which means busy busy busy and we don't even know how to manuver around= bad combination. Then the west Jerusalem closed all their shops today and Sabbath starts at sundown so we would have to take a Taxi for a couple hours and it wouldn't be worth it. I kinda felt like I was in the Idaho winters again. For the fact that we couldn't do anything or go anywhere but stay inside so we improvised! I got about 8 people to play my most favorite game in the world.... MONOPOLY DEAL! I've converted them and I am so stoked to start tournaments. I think we played that for at LEAST 3 hours on the hard limestone floor. Our gluts were sore and we got invited to watch Mulan 2 with Brother Judd and Brother Muelseins family. It was a blast. They have 11 kids total all under the age of 12. What fun kids. There were only about 4 of us students that joined and luckily I had princess stickers in my purse (thank you janelle!) and they have a bunch of little girls I won them over with them. I still can't believe Mulan and Shang almost broke up because of mooshoo. I'm sorry i just ruined the whole movie for whomever will watch it. We had a delightful dinner with yummyness and funny hilarious amazing people. See my pictures below to meet them.
The morning started out bright and early with a fantastic run to Hebrew University with Jaquelin and Kim. The JC security guards are so strict on the routes we can take and we found out we can only go about 1 1/2 miles that are the "safe zone". We ran up the hill from the JC and the suns rays blasted us as it was just starting to rise on the horizon. It was absolutely incredible what a different world this side of the Mt. of olives were from 100 ft away. I'll take my camera on our next run and post them. I'm pretty sure these people here NEVER see anyone running outside. Cars would slow down just to stare or honk and believe me, we weren't a pretty sight to see running up a steep hill with long pants and baggy clothes in this humidity. Maybe it was because we weren't covered from head to toe but then again they are Israeli men that tend to stare at American women.
We had our first Old testament class today with Brother Muelstein, He has a doctorate degree in Egyptology and I've heard he's one of the most knowledgeable men in his career. It was so enjoyable. This class won't be easy, but so so much fun. our class has massive windows and overlooks the land of Jerusalem. He'll point things out as we cover certain subject to where they took place throughout the semester, which i find incredible to think I can just look and see to my left where everything happened. Following that class we had Ancient Near Eastern Studies taught by Jefferey Chadwick. What an intelligent man! History is not my cup of tea, especially when he turns off the lights to see the screen, but I know if I will learn a LOT in his class! By about 11 we were done with the day! All of us were so excited to finally go to the Old city on our own until we were told we couldn't. It's the last day of Ramadan, which means busy busy busy and we don't even know how to manuver around= bad combination. Then the west Jerusalem closed all their shops today and Sabbath starts at sundown so we would have to take a Taxi for a couple hours and it wouldn't be worth it. I kinda felt like I was in the Idaho winters again. For the fact that we couldn't do anything or go anywhere but stay inside so we improvised! I got about 8 people to play my most favorite game in the world.... MONOPOLY DEAL! I've converted them and I am so stoked to start tournaments. I think we played that for at LEAST 3 hours on the hard limestone floor. Our gluts were sore and we got invited to watch Mulan 2 with Brother Judd and Brother Muelseins family. It was a blast. They have 11 kids total all under the age of 12. What fun kids. There were only about 4 of us students that joined and luckily I had princess stickers in my purse (thank you janelle!) and they have a bunch of little girls I won them over with them. I still can't believe Mulan and Shang almost broke up because of mooshoo. I'm sorry i just ruined the whole movie for whomever will watch it. We had a delightful dinner with yummyness and funny hilarious amazing people. See my pictures below to meet them.
We get to go out here anytime every day! Can you believe it? We were all having a scripture study session.
Still can't believe it's real. Also... I look like a missionary
baskin in the sun! Tessa, Craig, Kim and Joseph
Our tasty lunch with foreign fruit, nutella and HUMMUS!
Cute lisa and I enjoyin our HUMMUS and tuna Jalapajeno (so one of our friends call them) SOOOOO much!
So they have these spreads over here... And they are fantastic. We have tried to figure out what they are and the chocolate colored one is kind of comparable to nutella and the white one is from sesame seeds and honey.. I would have never guessed! Oh, and their break is TO-DIE-FOR. They have huge baskets. I'll take a picture of them so you can just pretend to indulge in them.
Cute Jordan and Ally the couple that are dating and Joseph who sang Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor dream coat for a LONG time today.
A pomegranate that grew at the center! Whoa!
3 hours of Monopoly deal and we were pooped!
So pretty much these are my two favoritest people. Megan Gygi and Brandt. Let me just tell you a bit about Brandt. When you're around him it is absolutely impossible not to be laughing so hard your stomach hurts. The best commedian I think i've ever met. Tonight he told us about the "Hug Theory" 1. the hand shake 2. the side hug 3. the pat on the back 4. the seat belt 5. girl under guy hug and 6. best hug when girl hugs on top. haha he made this hilarious and i so wish i could have recorded it for all to see. Also they really like Mousse for dessert... every night. It's great for me because i don't eat it! But a weird weird taste. So today and he kept calling it "Camel milk of love" I seriously wish you could meet this kid. He and a kid named Dave play off each other and just make you almost wet your pants from laughing.
Enjoying the very last night of Ramadan, the prayer calls happening at this point and waiting for the fireworks. Tonight we're having our first dance and i'm... excited? People that know me, know i really can't dance so we'll probably just end up playing games! We have to turn in early tonight though. It's the Sabbath tomorrow... on a Saturday! This will get some serious getting used to, but it will be totally worth it. I'm so excited. I love you all, and wish so badly you could be here to experience it!
Walkin up to the dome theater! This is the main entry way of the Jerusalem center
Still can't believe it's real. Also... I look like a missionary
baskin in the sun! Tessa, Craig, Kim and Joseph
Our tasty lunch with foreign fruit, nutella and HUMMUS!
Cute lisa and I enjoyin our HUMMUS and tuna Jalapajeno (so one of our friends call them) SOOOOO much!
So they have these spreads over here... And they are fantastic. We have tried to figure out what they are and the chocolate colored one is kind of comparable to nutella and the white one is from sesame seeds and honey.. I would have never guessed! Oh, and their break is TO-DIE-FOR. They have huge baskets. I'll take a picture of them so you can just pretend to indulge in them.
Cute Jordan and Ally the couple that are dating and Joseph who sang Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor dream coat for a LONG time today.
A pomegranate that grew at the center! Whoa!
3 hours of Monopoly deal and we were pooped!
So pretty much these are my two favoritest people. Megan Gygi and Brandt. Let me just tell you a bit about Brandt. When you're around him it is absolutely impossible not to be laughing so hard your stomach hurts. The best commedian I think i've ever met. Tonight he told us about the "Hug Theory" 1. the hand shake 2. the side hug 3. the pat on the back 4. the seat belt 5. girl under guy hug and 6. best hug when girl hugs on top. haha he made this hilarious and i so wish i could have recorded it for all to see. Also they really like Mousse for dessert... every night. It's great for me because i don't eat it! But a weird weird taste. So today and he kept calling it "Camel milk of love" I seriously wish you could meet this kid. He and a kid named Dave play off each other and just make you almost wet your pants from laughing.
Enjoying the very last night of Ramadan, the prayer calls happening at this point and waiting for the fireworks. Tonight we're having our first dance and i'm... excited? People that know me, know i really can't dance so we'll probably just end up playing games! We have to turn in early tonight though. It's the Sabbath tomorrow... on a Saturday! This will get some serious getting used to, but it will be totally worth it. I'm so excited. I love you all, and wish so badly you could be here to experience it!
Walkin up to the dome theater! This is the main entry way of the Jerusalem center
YAY I am so glad you got some friends to play Monopoly Deal with you. Sounds like you are having a blast! Running this morning, I am impressed you attempted to run in long pants. I bet you were dying of heat. We still cannot see your pictures, but im glad the posts work. Love ya
ReplyDeletemegs!! I'm having the same problem with the pictures but I love reading your life! I am so happy for you and I am so happy that you are having an amazing time!! love you meg, the jew:) xx
ReplyDeleteYou love hummas??? Amazing. Not so surprised about the three hours of Monopoly Deal. Could I ever grow to love that game? Hmmm...I'll try someday. I sure wish these photos would come through, I'm dying to see what the hec you are talking about. Please do some fancy dancing and wish upon a Jerusalem star to get them fixed, okay? I love YOU, Megs the Jew (thanks Michelle, I still giggle every time I think of that moment.)
ReplyDelete