The official song stuck in our head all day walking through the Old City. We're headed to Jericho on Monday and Veggie Tales has a video on Jericho so we got it stuck. For good.
So, the morning started bright and early... in a much different way than the prayer call. I woke up to my head getting smacked against the wall. So confused and dazed i started screaming "OW! OW! That hurt!" Then when I came to it, I realized I just did it myself and proceeded with uncontrollable laughter for 5 straight minutes. Snorts and chokes got added in to the mix and all my roommates were up. No one thought it was funny but me, probably because it was in the wee hours of the morning, but i'm so so glad it happened. The headache today was totally worth it!
We only had our Old Testament class today, and it was incredible. We're learning about Moses right now. What an amazing man he was. Heavenly Father is definitely in the small workings of everyone's lives! We got our granny- fannys, water bottles, and frumpy clothes to head to the old city. One goal in mind: Falafles. We still had about 4 hours to kill until we'd be hungry again so we wandered to Ali Babba's store. He is known among all the JC students for having the best prices. He sold us! We found some more genie pants for 20 sheckles and I even got a real leather scripture case with the engravings of Jerusalem on it. This man was wonderful and so friendly to all of us. Following our long visit we went to the Western Wall, which the Jews believe to be the last standing wall of Solomon's temple. We decided not to go up to it and slip a note in the cracks because of the holiday it was too busy and we weren't quite sure how to worship and didn't want to offend. It was so cool to see though! We're going back as a JC group tomorrow so more info will come!
Little did I know there are 4 quarters of the city, the Muslim, Jewish, Christian and Armenian quarters. We wandered through the Jewish and Armenian, what a different feel that the Muslim side! It was much cleaner and hardly as populated. We kinda got bored so we headed back to the hustle and bustle of the Muslim and Christian quarters. We were now hungry and ready for "THE CAVE!" It's a restaurant that literally found a cave while digging for a bathroom to add onto. So, we've been learning all about Tells which is where the city gets knocked down and rebuild adding inches to feet every civilization. This cave was illegally accidentally dug and beautifully preserved. It had all the original stones and limestone floors. This really could have been here at the time of Christ! Oh, the one and only Falafle... wasn't so impressive. Wouldn't really suggest it. Tasted kinda like stuffing in a pita mixed with cabbage and tomatoes... the later two my dislikes. So, eat at your own risk!
Next to "The cave" was a jewelery store that Abraham, our new friend, owns. he made rings for all the girls with a real pearl and it only cost 10 sheckles which is about $3 American Dollars. His shop was so fun to hang out in because they have the neatest jewelery. There are bracelets there that have the real widows mite. It's a tiny little intricate thing that i didn't expect at all. Then our friend Jake was convinced by Abraham that he could get a better price on pearls here so he bought a pearl necklace and earrings for his future wife (which most of us think was sitting in the room with us, and I do believe he was hoping that the whole time we were getting the rings. You should have seen the stars in that boys eyes!). There were so so many cool rings that I wanted, but decided I didn't need. We found a wolf ring that had a snarling wolf head... who would want that? Maybe if we were back at CMS but that would only be for a mere 2 years.
I've pretty much decided that it doesn't matter what you're doing, it's who your with. I've been playing with mickell and Megan the whole day. How I love them. Can't get enough of them. Just barely Mickell leaned over to me and said, "I want to go to egypt to get a picture with a camel, because i've always thought i looked like a camel." Yes, she indeed does now. That also means EGYPT IN 10 DAYS FROM TODAY!!!! We can't wait.
So back to the day...We were pooped and headed back when a man tried to kidnap us! (deep breath mom) It was a close one. He pulled up in a mysterious car with only the three of us girls. We were at the bottom of the Kidron valley where no one lives... He pulls up and says, "hey girls, you want a car?" "Um no thanks..." keep walking. he keeps driving, "Come on! Get in!" "No." Keep walking. He parks the car and my protective instinct kicks in. I herd the other two girls in front of me and keep walking. He starts running to me and grabs my arm. I tried my hardest to get out of his grip but couldn't. What was I to do now? I started screaming and the girls didn't know what to do and stood there like a tree when he opened the door and tried to shove me in with myself fighting back the whole time.... And then it didn't really happen. Okay, some of it. We got asked for a ride and it was a little creepy, but we made it alive. =)
Time to eat some grub and watch an Egypt movie. Have a fantastic day! And all you BYU-I people, good blessings at school today! Wish I could all see you off for your first day of school!
You stinker! You nincumpoop! You, you, you are in such trouble. My heart is pounding and I'm having a hot flash. How dare you! Grrrr. I can handle suspense, but not that kind. Young lady. Don't you do that one again. Ya hear??? I can't even comment on your blog after that. I was reading it to Dad and all he said is he's glad you didn't get kidnapped, Oh men!
ReplyDeletebahaha momma, you loved it just admit it. =) I never do things like that to you and just had to give you a mini heart attack. It's okay, i'm sure dad still loves me haha I miss you so so much! XOXOXOXO
ReplyDeleteMama Jill im with you!! That was a little heart wrenching. Im so glad you are okay Mega.
ReplyDelete