Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Galilee 11: Meggido, Muhraqa, Mt. Carmel, Highway 672 to Bahai Gardens, Templar Cementary, HOME

November 24,2010
Today I said my goodbyes to Galilee… It was a very bittersweet moment. I grew so much there. I learned so much. I saw, exhausted my energy and experienced everything in relation with Christ. I feel more since that trip. It’s a weird sensation, but I feel different. I’ve had a lot of contemplative time and it’s just changed things. This morning we went to Meggido, which is the traditional sight where the final war of Meggido is supposed to happen. This city was quite impressive. It’s been attacked 25 different times, controlled by Egyptians, Canaanites, Israelites, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, French and british with the modern Israelis fighting over one Meggido pass. The battle of Armegeddon is explained in Revelations 16, and when I read it prior to the sight, I got a little overwhelmed. So many bad things are going to happen, and it kind of weighed on my mind until my professors expressed their opinions. They thought that it is more of a spiritual battle, which makes sense. The place Meggido was chosen because that is one place of a lot of battles and a very tender area. There is an Israeli military base right there. So we really don’t know if it will be a physical, or spiritual battle, I think both. I read more in the scriptures about the second coming. Especially in D&C 68 I think. It tells me to be patient and the world is not ready to receive Christ. I know this, but become anxious sometimes.


Megiddo
1- Megiddo is a northeast spur of which mountain?
Carmel Mountains
2- Name the valley Megiddo guarded?
the Jezreel Valley
3- What civilization comprises most of the low to middle strata in Megiddo excavations?
the Canaanite civilization
4- Give 2 examples of evidence that Egypt was influential at Megiddo.
Egyptian artifacts found at the site
victory inscription of Tutmoses III at the Karnak temple
5-What dilemma do archaeologists face regarding Philistine bichrome pottery in stratum VI?         Archeologists debate whether it means Philistine rule or mere influence










 There was a very impressive water system that we got to walk through. 30 meters of a tunnel, but a big trip waaaay down into the water system. I found a MASSIVE centipede that I played with for a bit until someone told me that they’re really poisonous and I got rid of it very quickly. We saw a silo! I felt like I was back in Idaho. I learned something interesting today. They would cover this silo with a tarp of camels hair, yum huh? And some rain water would get in the bottom and forment the bottom layer causing the bugs and mice to stay away… cool huh? These had 4 chamber gates and 6 chamber gates along with casemate walls. We saw a bunch of mangers (like Christ was put in) that was used at the watering troughs for the horses for battle.
          



  Next was Mt. Carmel. I have heard about this mount for so so long, it was so great to be there! We had a hilarious reenactment of Elijah challenging the wicked priests to Ba’al and Jehovah as they were to have an altar burst into flames. Ba’als did nothing. It’s really an incredible story, but our class did an excellent job at reenacting it. The view from the church was spectacular. We have seen a whole lot of beautiful views lately. They have a small church that we got to sing at. The spirit was so strong. I love music, it brings the spirit so quickly. Christ lives.


I love this Janelle girl!
  Next was Bahai garden overlook. Next time you walk outside notice how clean it is for me k? This place was so clean, and I kinda forget what streets not covered in littler looked like. It was a GORGEOUS view of the Mediterranean Sea and a gorgeous garden. Oh I love this world. It’s so beautiful.

Bahai Gardens
1. The herald of Baha’ism was called:
           Bab
2. Its founder was called:
Siyyid Ali Muhammad 



 Next was the Templar cemetery where the first LDS missionaries in the land of Israel were buried. They have absolutely astounding stories. I can do so so much more after hearing their stories. I took some time for myself to wander through the graves while everyone was gathered and I contemplated if all these German people had been buried in the spirit world yet. It got me psyched up to do family history and see what amazing things my ancestors have done.





     The bus ride home we had bout 15 people get really really really sick with food poisoning. Poor people. They are so miserable and I feel so bad for all those sickies in bed right now. We’re going to Jordan in four days so they have to get better quick! This is a little bit of my email to mom that explained what I’m going through right now… “As we drove up the hill to the Jerusalem center I got so giddy. mom, this feels like home. I missed this place. I look over the city as I write this and something just sparks inside of me. I  love this place so much. Then we walked into the center and it was DECKED out in christmas decorations. Everyone got so exciting and i'm sitting here listening to Christmas music and thinking of the HUGE winter storm going on right now. I'm a little bit homesick, but i'm home here.” This is a weird feeling. I love my life everywhere I go. I hate thinking it’ll be at least 20 years til I MIGHT come back. Who knows what state Israel will be in politically. I’ll probably cry myself many night for missing this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment