Saturday, November 6, 2010

Yaron-our seminary student?

So something crazy happened about 2 weeks ago... Brother Muhlestein came and found me in "my" classroom. He has done this before and it scares me to death, because I have no idea what to expect when he asks to speak with me privately. It always turns out great, so I should learn this by now...
The result: Andrew and I are the new seminary teachers to Yaron, a 16 year old boy in the Galilee branch. I'm a seminary teacher? What? How? Yaron hasn't ever had seminary, and is the only boy in Israel is age that is an Israeli member. I've heard stories of kids having a big high school with a couple members their age... He doesn't have any members his age in ISRAEL.
We were told at first that we would be teaching him via Skype... Then Heavenly Father just wanted to make things better...I can't even tell you how amazing the timing worked out... We just got done with the bulk of our classes, and now would be traveling... Guess where we're traveling for 2 Sabbaths? Galilee. That's where Yaron lives.
I also just have to add a little bit about Andrew. This man is amazing. I can't believe I get to teach with him. He was so patient with me yesterday as I was having a fit about my inexperience in teaching. If I would have been put with anyone else here I would be having a really hard time. He's perfect to help me along and teach me how to teach (or learn for that matter).

Today is District Conference where ALL the members of ISRAEL meet. We all fit in one room about the size of a chapel. I was talking to Brother/President Harris-- the branch president of the Galilee branch (on a good day they will have 20 members attend) last night as he told me all about this opportunity. Tears came to my eyes as I was truly humbled at the saints that are here. Some of the members traveled 5 hours to get to conference today. I get to walk up 6 flights of stairs...I think we're spoiled rotten.

Andrew and I got to teach our first lesson to Yaron in person! Oh he's so fantastic. His first language is Hebrew, as he is 1/2 Jew and speaks only Hebrew at school. I was very impressed with his English and his knowledge of the Gospel. I think he'll be teaching me more than I teach him. It went well, and all thanks to Andrew. I now get to learn all about the D&C and the New Testament. I am spoiled.

I really am settling in here... I love these people. I don't want to leave. (Mom, don't let that break your heart. Just come join me, k?) I am eternally grateful for windows of opportunities and don't want this one to end.

1 comment: