Saturday, November 13, 2010

Hiking in the Israeli "Mountains"

Have I ever mentioned I LOVE hiking? Cause I do. This is probably the only opportunity I have in Israel to hike (besides Sinai) and I loved every second of it! We took a mid-term for New Testament, and Jacqueline planned an awesome hiking trip to relieve some stress. I'm not quite sure where it was, or what it was called, but we had a blast! There is no such thing as hiking "mountains", just hills. This was no exception. Most of the hills have retaining walls that have gardens, bushes or trees growing on them. Really, EVERY hill has these walls.










We wandered through a newly planted grove of trees, wandered back and forth on switch backs and we heard it eventually lead to some springs. Before reaching the springs we were taking a picture by some cacti and Megan yells, "Watch out they shoot!" Someone else replied mortified and quickly backed away "REALLY?!" I think I may be a little bit spoiled with Utah mountains and water falls, because this was a little tiny spring. We are in a drought, so that is why it was so little. It was still gorgeous.  We found a mysterious cave, wandered in and realized it had a tunnel with a light at the end (hmm...). Dear Craiggles went first, made it alive and we all followed. We were crammed bum to head, got a few battle scratches (YES!) and a bit wet, which made the experience all the better.







 When I'm outdoors I think differently, and remembered how much I love it. I kept thinking of Mom and how much she would have LOVED it. We wandered where we shouldn't have, played games, sweated a lot (felt so incredible) and I got to learn more about these wonderful people!  We were waiting for the taxi to come pick us back up and I looked over to see Craig climbed on the tree like a monkey shaking the branches. Jenna immediately yells, "We're harvesting Carobs!" 

Came back, took a heavenly nap, planned our seminary lesson, had contemplative time-- it was hard. Pondered the quote, “We can also tell that we are making progress by the attention we get from the adversary.”
(Spencer W. Kimball)  Certainly learning so so much here. After dinner I attempted to watch Indiana Jones, wasn't in the mood and ended up with Jacqueline plunking out hymns on the piano and reading all about the Sanhedrin, Pharisees, and Sadducees. Our teachers are so intelligent, I love them so much. I pulled a late night for here... Stayed up until midnight woohoo!

(These are for my benefit later) So, i've realized the majority of our Jokes no one would get unless you live with us, here. Some may be Adnan's Cologne... Feral cats... Adnan's Islamic months: Muharram, Safar, Rabia al-awwal, Rabi al-Thani, Jumada al Ula, Jumada al Thani, Rajab, Sha'ban, Ramadan, Shawwal, Dhu al qa'da, Dhu al Hijja and can't forget al Qaeda said as if you're about to choke.

No comments:

Post a Comment