Sunday, November 14, 2010

Galilee 1: Caesarea Maritima, Nazareth and Mt. Arbel!

Just had to add this. Jacqueline and I grabbed a handful of these AMAZING oranges that you can eat the peal! They grow right in the center... I LOVE these!
I sit on a hammock writing this blog post about 50 feet from the shores of Galilee.... This is one of the few times I have to just sit and enjoy this beauty. We've been so busy seeing such incredible things... I have so much to write, but don't want to take up too much time.

Our Jesus Christ walked on these waters. The ones 50 feet in front of me! We have 3 days of New Testament classes while here, and I am so eternally grateful for them. We are learning the stories of Christ and then visiting the places they happened the following day. Ah, All I can express is peace.

We have been up to:
- Caesarea- where Herod the Great built a magnificent ocean port
- Nazareth- where Christ lived as a child and was raised
- Gorgeous mountain over looking the Sea of Galilee
- We're staying at a Kibbutz hotel
- Went on a boat ride across the Galilee and stopped to have a devotional in the middle. Incredible spiritual experience.

- Visited a museum that had a fishing boat dating back to Christs time-- SO COOL!

- The Mount of Beatitudes
-Then took a long walk through banana fields, Christ took this walk to see his disciples that were fishermen
- St. Peters Church- Where Christ visited his disciples after his resurrection, and made breakfast with fishes and loaves. Incredible details about this from out New Testament class. Can't wait to tell more!
- The church that celebrates where Christ fed the 5,000-- In reality the 15,000 ish.
-Capernaum where he healed Peters mother in law.. much of his ministry happened here. It felt different than most places. Even had a cool missionary experience here(man singing)
-Stopped at Bethseda where Christ cursed. amazing place.
- We drove past the mountain that the swine he cast the evil spirits in, ran down the mountain into the Sea of Galilee
- Played on the beach all afternoon... ah, I love this lake/sea so much. Almost got eaten by a fish, but it was still fun.
-  Our class remade HUGE egypt pyramids and the temple of Karnak-- so amazing. The other class recreated Caesarea. Whoa, we've got some skilled sand fortress makers!

- Hiked Gamla-- What an incredible place. Gamla is camel in I believe Aramaic and the city looks like a camels hump! It was quite a hike and these were the people last remaining before the Romans attacked. 5,000 people jumped off the cliffs after the romans had broken their walls down. Amazing spiritual experience. There was a synagogue that we know that Christ taught in. It's not well known among Christians, thanks to our incredible professors. This place was absolutely breath taking.
-Then visited a village that people were dressed up like they would have been in the time of Christ. We saw all the household supplies of the people of the day and a very well preserved city. It was SO great.
- In the evening ate some St. Peters fish from this Sea... It came head and all!
- Then off to Tiberias for Ice Cream. I'm looking at the beautiful city right now... It's glistening over the glass-like galilee waters casting a gorgeous reflection.
- Today we had lots and lots of class and then went rafting down the Jordan river! It was a blast, really beautiful and relaxing. I didn't feel too bad about rafting being where Christ was baptised because We were in the north and he was in the southern part of the river and Sea of Galilee.


Also, great quote to explain where we're staying.  Aly:  "THIS PLACE IS AMAZING!!!" Meg: "Why?: Aly: "Because there are cats EVERYWHERE!!!" This is from the mouth of the absolute cat lover of the world. From where I'm sitting i can see at least 3 cats. They are everywhere. One sits by the front door of where we eat and it makes me want to cry every time i see it... It is missing an eye and has holes in its back. This cat needs to be put out of its misery poor thing.


Also, There are Jackals here! We heard them going CRAZY last night, it was a bit spooky.
Last animal thing-- I saw a capybara!!! I did a report on them in 3rd grade with Ashley Ellsworth. I have ALWAYS wanted to see one... and I saw one in Capernaum! Oh it was so happy. Jordan tells me, "Look! It's a furry pig!" "No, IT'S A CAPYBARA!!!!" it scales the wall and Jord says, "No, it's a ninja!" Oh my, i was so stoked about seeing one. YES! 


Sunday, November 14, 2010
We started bright and early and headed to Caesarea Maritima! The bus ride was SO much fun because the whole 1 & ½ hours Jacqueline and I learned as much as we could out of our three books. “The Holy Land” by Jeffery Chadwick (our teacher), our scriptures, and our new testament field trip guide. I LOVE LEARNING!
             It was incredible remains of a roman empire. It started when Herod the Great started building it, trying to prove what a great Greco-Roman emperor he was. It took 11 years to accomplish. In result a massive port was erected. The engineering behind it was ingenious! They built metal barges, filling them with stones until they were heavy enough to put on the bottom of the ocean floor, 150 feet below. They created the first ever cement that could dry under water and created a spectacular port. The Jews became very angry with Herod because he was building many wonderful things for the Jews, but ALSO for the gentiles. Pontius Pillate lived HERE!
            First we went to an amphitheater that could hold 4,000 people. It was the meeting place for many of drama, concerts and various performances. We got to sing, which was so cool because all the other tour groups visiting stopped and listened to our hymn. Two things happen in this amphitheater—1. Acts 10:1-6 cornelius has a vision to go down to Jappa to find Simon peter- visited with gentiles and his house hold. Here he taught “God is no respecter of persons”
Second, Acts 12:20-23 King Agrippa was receiving heaps of flattery at this exact theater, and wasn’t giving any glory to God. Right after suffered from severe heart and stomach problems, causing him to die 5 days later. Guess we know who’s in charge, eh?

Also, 72 AD the Romans had a massive celebration at this city because Jerusalem had been destroyed.

We saw an inscription, it’s the only actual contemporary inscription evidence of the New Testament.
There was a Palace of the Roman Governers where there were prisons and this is where all the trials were held. It was a courtyard filled with columns. Acts 25:6-11 Judgment by roman leaders. Acts 26:22-28 Agrippa was either serious or teasing about being persuaded to be a Christian.

There were two hippodromes- one that holds 38,000 people, which was used for Chariot races and the other much smaller for foot races etc. Herod had put flags or “Roman Standars” made of stone in their Jewish temple complexes. This caused MANY protests in this coastal port. Some 13,000 jews gathered in the smaller hippodrome protesting after Herods reign. Pontium pilot was in charge at this time and threatened them if no one would leave he would slit their throats. They bared their necks and said, “Go ahead!” He was so surprised by their reaction he took down the flags.
            Another event, 20,000 Jews gathered here to protest for property rights… all were killed. I stood where they were all killed! It is now gorgeous, right on the coast. Many of it destroyed by follow up people. First the Byzantines, then the Crusaiders, then destroyed by Saladin, which was abandoned because they didn’t need the port, and it is in the same position today that it once was. The city is known to have common earth quakes and a much wanted city back in the day.
            We just had fun taking pictures in the TONS of remains. We found some heart mosaics that were left… We never actually get to touch mosaics! It was way cool. We had foot races as they did in the olden times, and took more pictures. We then went to an aqueduct that used to be used, put our feet in the Mediterranean Sea and headed for a look out over the Sea of Galilee.
            When we got there, it was absolutely breath taking. This sea/lake is GORGEOUS. It feels different here. I understand the importance of what happened, and I love this place already. We got to go wwwaaaayyyy up in the mountains and over look the entire 14 mile by 7 mile fresh water sea. =) We took a lot of pictures and enjoyed company. We headed to the Kibbutz and settled into our cute little apartment/rooms. I have the best roommates. Caitlin Clark, Janelle Knight, and Miriam Shumway. They’re so wonderful, and I’m so so blessed. We ate a fantastic dinner and maybe or maybe not 3 pieces of cake….? Probably not? Hehe I walked down to the Sea of Galilee.. honestly a 100 feet walk from my room and soaked my feet. It feels different. I love the feeling. I’m peaceful. I know Christ taught here. I know he taught such important principles.
            We went on a short run, and I headed back down to socialize. Some people said some really really nice things to me, people that I have a hard time connecting with (It was a game we were playing) I’m super grateful. Some things said were: “You just bring a light that everyone wants. You bring so so much happiness and joy to peoples life. You’re so service oriented and strive to find people to serve. They’ve never seen me upset/frustrated/etc. (They haven’t lived with me). That I always want to help out in everything and put forth my best effort. Remember, these are people I feel like I hardly know and 3 of them I didn’t even think liked me. Priesthood blessings work. People are watching, I am loved. It was really really neat to feel that way, and I’m so grateful. I got to teach Jacqueline the last bit of come thou fount, did an ab workout with Janelle and Miriam, wrote in my journal and SLEEP! It’s time. Im so excited. I’m deprived, but have, scratch that—get to wake up to watch the sunrise over the SEA OF GALILEE!! How did I get so blessed? Thank you Heavenly Father. Thank you for making my life bliss.
Ceasarea Maritima
Judean king Herod the Great renamed Strato’s Tower Caesarea in honor of Octavian/Augustus Ceasar. He expanded the port for two principlal reasons: 1) he ought Greco-Roman legitimacy; 2) Caesarea was a better port than Alexandria. After the deposition of Archelaus, Herod’s son, Rome made this city the capital of Judea, the seat of prefects and procurators like Felix, Pontius Pilate, and Festus. Paul, Peter, and Phillip preached in this city, the first being imprisoned there.  In the early fourth century AD the Bishop-historian Eusebius wrote his Eccesiastical History here. During the 12th-13th century AD, the city was rebuilt by crusaders.


 The theater behind us held 38,000 people in its glory!!!

 This used to be a GIGANTIC port!!! It's been washed away since. They had a huge jail, judgements, and a lot of power in the place!

 Where they once had races!








 With an anchor! I took this just for momma because she loves anchors!


 This sign just made me have warm a fuzzies!

Nazareth
Where is Nazareth located?
hills of lower Galilee
What feature from the Basilica of the Annunciation suggests a Pre-Byzantine Christian commemoration of Nazareth?
Grotto
What does the Annunciation Basilica contain on the 5th century AD level?
Byzantine church
On the 12th century AD level?
Crusader church
Name the 6th century structure found below the Melchite Church.
Synagogue
What it the architectural feature common to most churches from this century?
Pointed vault celings




Mount Arbel
Describe who used the caves on the north cliff-face of Arbel and what happened there.
Judah Maccabeas; Hasmonean loyalists
What is a yeshiva?
Rabbinical seminary
Identify Hattin, the plain of Gennesaret, the Mount of Beatitudes, Tabgha, Capernaum, Ein Gev, the Golan Heights, and Mt. Hermon.
(The view from Mt. Arbel)


 We couldn't wait... and had to get in the water just a little bit!!!
 This was sooo beautiful. I love this because only Meg would be out there with me. I loved spending time with her. What a wonderful example she is to me.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Galilean Daughter. I will try to post again. (It hasn't been taking my posts...) I had no idea you'd be able to add photos while you are there!!! What an amazing eleven days! Incredible sights you are seeing up there. The photo of you with the tree coming out of the rock will soon be blown up life size and put in our family room. It is incredible. It took my breath away. Then the second life size photo will be of you on the boat on the Sea of Galilee. I miss youou, but am so happy for all these adventures.

    ReplyDelete