Herod knows how to build a big fortress... whoa. I'm not so fond of the man. He's the one that issued all the male children under the age of 2 in the area of Bethlehem to be murdered, because the wise men didn't report back to him. He also killed many family members so that they wouldn't receive power amongst many other terrible things.
This behind me was a massive arch and staircase leading up to his fortress
Looking out at the Dead sea.. So beautiful and clear! Also, you can see the trail that Nephi and his brothers took three different times from this view.
Herods massive memorial
Besides that, his fortress is huge. He had taken a mound of dirt surrounding the area and built a massive mountain. There were dug out parts that you can clearly see the original dirt, the rocks that were covered on top (similar to cement) and then the dirt on the very top that had gathered after it was in use. We hiked to he very top over looking a beautiful courtyard. There were cold and hot bath houses, Triclinium dining room (synagogue after Herod died), a bed chamber, living quarters, and 4 towers with the east tower much larger than the rest. This was one of three places that Herod would run away when people were seeking for his life. His body was also buried here, which wasn't found until recently.
What it looked like 2,000+ Years ago.
Israel is over the hill a bit... So amazing.
Inside the fortress!
The tower in the picture i'm holding is that tower right in the middle... Probably could have figured that one out... It was so exciting to see what once was!
Lexy, Amy, Jamie, and Ally outside the bathhouse just "Bathin"
The man that had worked on this for 40 years Ehud Netzer passed away while giving a tour last Tuesday. the railings failed to sustain him and he fell about 40 meters off of the Herodian.
Herod's bed chamber... scandal.
J and I eating in the mess hall!
Herodion
The Herodion was named after Herod the Great (its builder). Josephus, the Jewish historian, described why the complex was built at that site. During the First Revolt (66-72 AD) Jews called Zealots occupied the Herodion.
What two features did they add to transform the triclinium into a synagogue?
Stone benches and a mikva.
During the Second Revolt (132-135 AD) the Jewish leader Bar Kohkba made the Herodion his headquarters.
J and I eating in the mess hall!
Such a deep ravine!
We over looked all the land. We could see the city that he initiated the order to kill the children, the dessert and the dead sea. They pointed out the trail that Nephi and his brothers took 3 different times back to Jerusalem to get the plates and women to marry. We went down into the living quarters and took a plethora of pictures.
Reinactment with Brother Judd
We were to walk through the cistern that I didn't know we weren't coming back out of. I left my scriptures at the top of the hill and realized that after we had walked down tons of steps in the cistern. Brother Judd couldn't get a hold of any of the leaders of top so Jamie and I booked it back up a whole mountains worth of stairs to find my scriptures. They weren't there. I was frantic. At the first of the semester we were told that a girl left her scriptures somewhere and got them shot because the people didn't know what they were. I didn't want my scriptures shot! just kidding, I knew they wouldn't be, but I can't live without those! No one in the Muhlesteins class and them and I caught a climpse of the Fortresses security guard turning the corner down the mountain with them. I stopped him just in the nick of time! Heavenly Father is so good. We ran back down the cistern and down the mountain in time to make it on the bus before they left! Phew!
it's BIG!
Just about to dive into the swimmin pool!
We then headed to Herods swimming pool. Now this man know how to have a swimming pool made. It was similar to small lake with an Island. I wouldn't have minded being friends with him 2,000+ years ago for the sole purpose of swimming in that pool.
We learned later in class that he had a much larger mansion at the bottom of the Herodian. This was a "bomb shelter."
It's HUGE!
A toilet we happened to find at the bottom... Hmm...
Next was Shepherds Field. We call it "Mormons shepherds" field since 1979 because no one else has been here because it is a real field for sheep. The Mormon tabernacle Choir sang here and Brother Chadwick gave that tour when they took them here over Christmas one year. On the way Jacqueline wanted me to teach her Silent Night in sign language. It make me miss signing sooo much and set us in the perfect mood for the evening. Ah, what an incredible experience. The "field" was no field. It was a rocky hilly shrub filled land. That's how all the land is here! I was expecting a field similar to those in Idaho, but I don't know what I was thinking because there aren't any. We all gathered as many people played musical numbers. We heard beautiful arrangements of Christmas music with violins, flutes, singing and cute 8 year old Lisa sang a song for us. They gave us about 15 minutes to go out on our own and ponder. This is my absolute favorite.
As I sat down in darkness I could smell the fresh droppings of sheep that had been there that day. This really is a shepherds field! I was overlooking Bethlehem. The city where our Savior was born. I looked up and the north star was the only star I could see. It was like this just for me. This is what the Shepherds saw! I grew so excited as I read Luke 2. An angel appeared to them! He even said "Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people" Then choirs of angels started singing. I loved to imagine myself as them. What it would be like and what they would feel. They went with "haste" to go see Christs birth as he lay in a manger. Mary and Joseph sacrificed so much for this incredible human being to be raised.
All of our reason for hope began here.
We had a very powerful testimony meeting after our contemplative time with more music. Music has such power. On the bus ride home we sang Christmas songs. This is definitely the most memorable Halloweens I have ever had and ever will have.
Sweet daughter what a sacred experience. No you won't ever forget. Interesting opposites--coming from Herod's worldly fortress, swimming pool and all, then over to the humble shepherd's hillside where these chosen few received the grandest news ever to be. Thank you again for another peak into an amazing day and night. Thank the heavens you found your scriptures!
ReplyDelete