I LOVE Sabbaths! I swear they're way better here than in the states =) Something about actually BEING where everything in the scriptures happened maybe? Probably not, but I like to think so.
Gosh, church was incredible. That's all there is to it. I love our branch. I love how Heavenly Father will always make me feel like a million bucks. He and I had a good ole chat this morning. I was concerned about some things and there were 4 instances today that Heavenly Father just said, "You're fine. You're my daughter and I'm going to take care of you."
Another thing I love is that I have sooo much time on Saturday mornings to study, because most everyone sleeps in so I get a whole room to myself! There are 6 class rooms in the whole center (one that is locked the whole week and only opened on Saturdays, that's my room) ... That's not many split among 80 people. I get really lucky sometimes.
So relief society was great. We talked all about being women, and I love that i'm a woman (Or young woman? That kinda makes me sound like a grandma or something). Sometimes I think guys just have it hard, and I am so glad I'm me.
1:30 sharp we left to walk to the Orson Hyde park. First off, there was a little tinge of coolness in the air! It was so so happy to walk out and I got so excited it's kinda like fall (minus the beautiful colors of the Utah mountains). So we started walking down the hill and then realized that on our way back we don't have to hike up the huge hill back to the center! We were takin' the short cut, oh yeah! We had to walk through some sketchy neighborhoods, good thing we had our studly, buff men, Ben studying here from the U of U and Justin... his name says it all. Then we got to got to go through the "rubbish mounds" Oh and they were pretty! We found everything from a spoon, bra, trash, glass (that Cherysh got cut on and bled all over her shoe), and some more trash. That's kinda the land scape of Jerusalem... pretty trashy. We're used to it though. THEN we made it to the Orson Hyde Garden.....
(Okay side note, I just looked all this information up and my jaw literally dropped when I read about this!)
169 years ago EXACTLY from tomorrow, October 24, 1841 Orson Hyde climbed the Mount of Olives to dedicate the land of Israel to "(1) the gathering of Judah, (2) the building up of Jerusalem, and (3) the rearing of a temple.The balance of the prayer, for the most part, is a supplication that these three objectives be accomplished." AH! I went to it one day before this.
Something so so cool: "Some time after Orson’s baptism, the Prophet Joseph Smith gave Orson a most unusual blessing: “In due time thou shalt go to Jerusalem, the land of thy fathers, and be a watchman unto the house of Israel; and by thy hands shall the Most High do a great work, which shall prepare the way and greatly facilitate the gathering together of that people.” I've been learning about "watchmen" lately and this stuck out to me how important this role is.
WE AS STUDENTS ARE PART OF THOSE PEOPLE! Even without being able to proselyte. I encourage anyone to read more HERE! Wow, I'm so so excited about this. I have a story about proselyting that happened today... keep reading later to hear the story. This "park was dedicated in the presence of Latter-day Saint leaders, Israeli dignitaries, and Arab notables. The park, with its panoramic view, amphitheater, winding walks, and gardens, is a fitting tribute to Elder Hyde and an appropriate gift to the city of Jerusalem. It is a place of quiet meditation for Christian, Moslem, and Jew alike." This is exactly what it was for us. I felt a peacefulness walking through it. You can see this hill that the Garden rests on from all over the valley and Old city. We had to walk through this beautiful park to get to Gethsemane from the Jerusalem Center, how convenient huh?
So we walked down a massive hill and very narrow road, almost getting hit by cars multiple times into a gate that said "Hortvs Gethsemani" The gate sure didn't look like much. We walked in and there were beautiful massive Olive trees. They were fenced off and we could immediately tell this was a tourist attraction. People from everywhere speaking every language were wandering all over. We sat right by the trees and had some contemplation time. I really love how Heavenly Father works through other people to bless my life. My dearest Jacqueline wrote a letter in my journal last Sunday and it caught me by surprise when I found it today. Exactly what I needed to hear, and I had an overwhelming sense of love for my brother, Jesus Christ. That's something I've been trying to learn more about... my relationship with my brother and have been struggling. I'm in the right place to learn it right? It's an everyday thing that I get to know him a little better, bit by bit. (I love learning!)
We walked into the cathedral/church there. It was a reminder to me that our Heavenly Fathers spirit resides in our temples today. I'm so grateful/miss the temple so much. We walked down and around the trees, I even got to see my favorite flower in the garden! There was a Greek Orthodox church/cave that housed what some believe to be the tomb of Mary. This was really great to see people worshiping. I love the dedication to religion of people here. We walked down a big stair case that smelled stronger and stronger of the smell of candle wax. There were candles and chandeliers lining the ceiling. (I can't wait to post pictures) I've never seen so many in such a small area before! When we were at the bottom a man selling something yelled, "You are Mormons?" Heck yeah we are. We're kind of a big deal here. Just kidding, not really, but people definitely know who we are. So he called us over and said to a couple of the girls, "Tell me a little bit about your religion." They replied, "We aren't allowed to talk about it." We signed a contract before we came that we would not proselyte of any kind. Coolest thing, Ben (the one visiting here for a month from the U of U in his third year of Med School) isn't under this contract, and he could talk to him all he wanted! He answered some of the basic questions, but we were so excited to have someone with us that could talk about the church! Also, when we were at the Garden Of Gethsemane a man randomly came up to Ben, no one else, and said, "What does Gethsemane mean to you?" He got to preach the gospel again! So jealous.
Following Mary's tomb we went to the Grotto of Gethsemane where it is believed Christ left his disciples to wait for him while he atoned for the sins of the world. Where they fell asleep multiple times and he asked them "Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation." This is also the place that he was betrayed by Judas. I couldn't believe I was actually there.
One of the advantages about being Mormon is that SOME people really like us and let us into special places. There is a different part of the garden that is very secluded and off limits to most of the public across the street. We got in, and got locked in. I panicked for about a millasecond and then realized, tons of people have come here before so I hope, I mean know we can get out. There was only one other group there that were very respectful of the circumstance. I'm slightly positive that they were LDS because we had a bunch of visitors today with possibly the same name badge. So, they were Christians most likely. We stepped off to the side and sung hymns for quite a while. The spirit was so peaceful while we were singing. Everyone with us (about 15) were so respectful, and I was so grateful for the spirit I was able to feel. I feel like I got closer to Jesus Christ, which is why i'm here.
We headed back ravenous and SO ready for dinner. It was amazing as always and I may or may not have had 2 pitas with Nutella and Hava. During dinner Justin told me, "You're probably the most mysterious person here." How am I to take that? After many minutes of discussion I still couldn't figure out if that was a good thing. I promise I don't mean to be mysterious... I think I just sass him, which most people don't. He's just easy to sass.
Today Katie B. (who i'll be in her ward by surprise/accident (wait not accident. Accidents like this don't happen)for the winter and spring and I am so so overly excited for it) ran up to me and slapped her hand on my forehead and on the side of my face and said, "You would look so good bald!" Or something to that extent. I was actually really super excited because it's always been a dream of mine to shave my head, but I only thought that people with super pronounced facial features could pull it off. I'll probably never do it, until the next life, but it made me quite happy.
I got to talk to my parents today. So happy. I love them. My mom is going to a volley ball game with the Young Women, how great is that? I'm so excited for her in this new calling! I always have seen her as a "relief society type of woman", but she changes lives everywhere she goes, so young woman's definitely will need her. Also, I secretly love business. My dad will always humor me and talk about his business. Those conversations are probably the best, high up there on my thoughts during the week. I really am excited to hear about business from my future husband whoever he may be.
Jacqueline and I talked again tonight. She teaches me so much. Sorry I talk about her so much, I just wish everyone could know people like her. I love the people here! I hate to think that we only have 1 and 1/2-ish months left. I never want to leave these people. I'm so grateful that my family lives in Provo and I get to visit these BYU Provo people so often. Sorry for the long post, I had so much to say! Mother, I promise to add photos soon!
Gosh, church was incredible. That's all there is to it. I love our branch. I love how Heavenly Father will always make me feel like a million bucks. He and I had a good ole chat this morning. I was concerned about some things and there were 4 instances today that Heavenly Father just said, "You're fine. You're my daughter and I'm going to take care of you."
Another thing I love is that I have sooo much time on Saturday mornings to study, because most everyone sleeps in so I get a whole room to myself! There are 6 class rooms in the whole center (one that is locked the whole week and only opened on Saturdays, that's my room) ... That's not many split among 80 people. I get really lucky sometimes.
So relief society was great. We talked all about being women, and I love that i'm a woman (Or young woman? That kinda makes me sound like a grandma or something). Sometimes I think guys just have it hard, and I am so glad I'm me.
First off... we had some serious Israeli dancing!
It was a BLAST!
1:30 sharp we left to walk to the Orson Hyde park. First off, there was a little tinge of coolness in the air! It was so so happy to walk out and I got so excited it's kinda like fall (minus the beautiful colors of the Utah mountains). So we started walking down the hill and then realized that on our way back we don't have to hike up the huge hill back to the center! We were takin' the short cut, oh yeah! We had to walk through some sketchy neighborhoods, good thing we had our studly, buff men, Ben studying here from the U of U and Justin... his name says it all. Then we got to got to go through the "rubbish mounds" Oh and they were pretty! We found everything from a spoon, bra, trash, glass (that Cherysh got cut on and bled all over her shoe), and some more trash. That's kinda the land scape of Jerusalem... pretty trashy. We're used to it though. THEN we made it to the Orson Hyde Garden.....
(Okay side note, I just looked all this information up and my jaw literally dropped when I read about this!)
169 years ago EXACTLY from tomorrow, October 24, 1841 Orson Hyde climbed the Mount of Olives to dedicate the land of Israel to "(1) the gathering of Judah, (2) the building up of Jerusalem, and (3) the rearing of a temple.The balance of the prayer, for the most part, is a supplication that these three objectives be accomplished." AH! I went to it one day before this.
Something so so cool: "Some time after Orson’s baptism, the Prophet Joseph Smith gave Orson a most unusual blessing: “In due time thou shalt go to Jerusalem, the land of thy fathers, and be a watchman unto the house of Israel; and by thy hands shall the Most High do a great work, which shall prepare the way and greatly facilitate the gathering together of that people.” I've been learning about "watchmen" lately and this stuck out to me how important this role is.
WE AS STUDENTS ARE PART OF THOSE PEOPLE! Even without being able to proselyte. I encourage anyone to read more HERE! Wow, I'm so so excited about this. I have a story about proselyting that happened today... keep reading later to hear the story. This "park was dedicated in the presence of Latter-day Saint leaders, Israeli dignitaries, and Arab notables. The park, with its panoramic view, amphitheater, winding walks, and gardens, is a fitting tribute to Elder Hyde and an appropriate gift to the city of Jerusalem. It is a place of quiet meditation for Christian, Moslem, and Jew alike." This is exactly what it was for us. I felt a peacefulness walking through it. You can see this hill that the Garden rests on from all over the valley and Old city. We had to walk through this beautiful park to get to Gethsemane from the Jerusalem Center, how convenient huh?
So we walked down a massive hill and very narrow road, almost getting hit by cars multiple times into a gate that said "Hortvs Gethsemani" The gate sure didn't look like much. We walked in and there were beautiful massive Olive trees. They were fenced off and we could immediately tell this was a tourist attraction. People from everywhere speaking every language were wandering all over. We sat right by the trees and had some contemplation time. I really love how Heavenly Father works through other people to bless my life. My dearest Jacqueline wrote a letter in my journal last Sunday and it caught me by surprise when I found it today. Exactly what I needed to hear, and I had an overwhelming sense of love for my brother, Jesus Christ. That's something I've been trying to learn more about... my relationship with my brother and have been struggling. I'm in the right place to learn it right? It's an everyday thing that I get to know him a little better, bit by bit. (I love learning!)
We walked into the cathedral/church there. It was a reminder to me that our Heavenly Fathers spirit resides in our temples today. I'm so grateful/miss the temple so much. We walked down and around the trees, I even got to see my favorite flower in the garden! There was a Greek Orthodox church/cave that housed what some believe to be the tomb of Mary. This was really great to see people worshiping. I love the dedication to religion of people here. We walked down a big stair case that smelled stronger and stronger of the smell of candle wax. There were candles and chandeliers lining the ceiling. (I can't wait to post pictures) I've never seen so many in such a small area before! When we were at the bottom a man selling something yelled, "You are Mormons?" Heck yeah we are. We're kind of a big deal here. Just kidding, not really, but people definitely know who we are. So he called us over and said to a couple of the girls, "Tell me a little bit about your religion." They replied, "We aren't allowed to talk about it." We signed a contract before we came that we would not proselyte of any kind. Coolest thing, Ben (the one visiting here for a month from the U of U in his third year of Med School) isn't under this contract, and he could talk to him all he wanted! He answered some of the basic questions, but we were so excited to have someone with us that could talk about the church! Also, when we were at the Garden Of Gethsemane a man randomly came up to Ben, no one else, and said, "What does Gethsemane mean to you?" He got to preach the gospel again! So jealous.
Following Mary's tomb we went to the Grotto of Gethsemane where it is believed Christ left his disciples to wait for him while he atoned for the sins of the world. Where they fell asleep multiple times and he asked them "Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation." This is also the place that he was betrayed by Judas. I couldn't believe I was actually there.
One of the advantages about being Mormon is that SOME people really like us and let us into special places. There is a different part of the garden that is very secluded and off limits to most of the public across the street. We got in, and got locked in. I panicked for about a millasecond and then realized, tons of people have come here before so I hope, I mean know we can get out. There was only one other group there that were very respectful of the circumstance. I'm slightly positive that they were LDS because we had a bunch of visitors today with possibly the same name badge. So, they were Christians most likely. We stepped off to the side and sung hymns for quite a while. The spirit was so peaceful while we were singing. Everyone with us (about 15) were so respectful, and I was so grateful for the spirit I was able to feel. I feel like I got closer to Jesus Christ, which is why i'm here.
We headed back ravenous and SO ready for dinner. It was amazing as always and I may or may not have had 2 pitas with Nutella and Hava. During dinner Justin told me, "You're probably the most mysterious person here." How am I to take that? After many minutes of discussion I still couldn't figure out if that was a good thing. I promise I don't mean to be mysterious... I think I just sass him, which most people don't. He's just easy to sass.
Today Katie B. (who i'll be in her ward by surprise/accident (wait not accident. Accidents like this don't happen)for the winter and spring and I am so so overly excited for it) ran up to me and slapped her hand on my forehead and on the side of my face and said, "You would look so good bald!" Or something to that extent. I was actually really super excited because it's always been a dream of mine to shave my head, but I only thought that people with super pronounced facial features could pull it off. I'll probably never do it, until the next life, but it made me quite happy.
I got to talk to my parents today. So happy. I love them. My mom is going to a volley ball game with the Young Women, how great is that? I'm so excited for her in this new calling! I always have seen her as a "relief society type of woman", but she changes lives everywhere she goes, so young woman's definitely will need her. Also, I secretly love business. My dad will always humor me and talk about his business. Those conversations are probably the best, high up there on my thoughts during the week. I really am excited to hear about business from my future husband whoever he may be.
Jacqueline and I talked again tonight. She teaches me so much. Sorry I talk about her so much, I just wish everyone could know people like her. I love the people here! I hate to think that we only have 1 and 1/2-ish months left. I never want to leave these people. I'm so grateful that my family lives in Provo and I get to visit these BYU Provo people so often. Sorry for the long post, I had so much to say! Mother, I promise to add photos soon!
What are you apologizing for silly?! I love every single word and don't need photos to be entertained. Actually Daddy and I were just talking about what an excellent writer you are. We read your blog out loud just now and your words flow so beautifully. We can picture you as you draw us into your amazing life in Israel. What a Sabbath day! No apology needed about Jacqueline either. What a blessing to your life and many others. That 1.45 hours went so fast on the phone today. I love you!
ReplyDeleteHi Meg. It was great to talk to you and hear how much fun you are having in J. town. We never saw Orson Hyde Park while we were there. Sounds like a great place. Have fun in Bethlehem on Monday. I always pray that you will be safe and know that I love you. Love, Dad
ReplyDelete