Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hard things are good.

The last couple days haven't been easy. I found out the boy I broke up with before coming to Jerusalem is engaged. Kinda hits like a rock in my stomach. It's definitely not an easy thing to let someone you love go, but necessary.

My mom has posted all over our house a new family theme each year, and they pop into my head and at times in my life when I need them. (Thank you forever, mom) The one for Jerusalem is: "I can do hard things."
So, you may think this semester here is just for fun, visiting the sights where Christ walked, learning more about his life, going to classes, getting to know 79 new people and making them "my best friends".
It's not easy. Hasn't been since day one. I knew it would be hard. Mom had told me to be ready to have a challenging time, because we learn from challenging times. I thought I was ready, but I was wrong.

(BUT THEN,)

Every day I marvel at how Heavenly Father takes care of me. The way this week was orchestrated makes me wonder how in the world He did it again? We went to the street Via Dolorosa by chance. This is where Jesus Christ struggled to carry his cross down this exact road to be crucified. We saw the exact archway he would have walked through with the cross and crown of thorns. It didn't hit me until today. I walked into my room where Jacqueline was getting ready for church. The Mormon Tabernacle was playing in the back ground and I knew she was listening to a past conference (I completely suggest it while you get ready for the day. It changes lives.). She turned around and had the look on her face, "I just learned a lot." She proceeded to tell me about the talk she just heard. It was "None Were With Him" by Jeffery R. Holland. She told me I must listen/read to it today. She always listens to Heavenly Fathers inspiration, so I was already excited.

We went early to Sacrament meeting as the choir rehearsed (which we normally would have been there, but for some reason didn't today. Another tender mercy) for the prelude music. We sat down in this magnificent room with massive windows overlooking the Old city. I was taking the view all in when she handed me the article. I sat there reading in awe at the power that Jesus Christ had. He really did do it alone... but then his father was there for him. (Read it HERE. please?) That's how I've felt here. Then I read the line "Now, may I ask that never again will He have to confront sin without our aid and assistance, that never again will He find only unresponsive onlookers when He sees you and me along His Via Dolorosa in our present day." I walked this EXACT street 2 days ago. It was an overwhelming sensation that came over me. He suffered for me, so I don't have to suffer. I am here and get to be where he was. His spirit is still here, but only as we try to live worthy each day of it.

I love Sabbaths. I say that because it's on Saturday here, not Sunday... and I LOVE it. I felt an overwhelming sense of love all day. I got council on what I need to do better, and a whole lot of love encouraging me to be better. Then conference. Oh, wasn't it amazing? I'm so sad we can't watch the rest until tomorrow morning.

Then, I did something really hard tonight. Life changing, actually. The equation for this problem: A whole lot of faith + prayers + more faith. I know this equation will work, without a doubt.

The Church is true. The end. Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet daughter. Wow. Your tenderness and willingness to share this is so beautiful. You told me a little about this experience this weekend while I was away. Now as I read it I can tell it was a powerful day for you. Thank you for being open to be taught. Do you know how happy you've made your Father up above? And me. I love you Megs with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete